Monday, January 11, 2016

TEAM # JUAN!!!
 
LUNCH WITH KYLEEANN, ELLIE AND SAM!

 Remember the district battle that’s going on? Well we had to decide on a team name. And the Elders thought "Lamanites" was a good team name, but it’s not.. so me and Mac came up with the genius idea of "Team #Juan" get it? Like #1, and Juan because we are the Spanish district and Juan like JOHN THE BAPTIST WHO IS KNOWN FOR BAPTIZING. It’s a juanderful name. The Juan jokes have been going on all week. haha 

Biggest story of the week- Remember our member referral last week? Well we've been able to teach her this week! The biggest concern is smoking so we walked her through the "15 step nonsmoking program" and got all the cinnamon stuff and grape juice. haha We have a date set with her for this month! We've had some real cool lessons, she is going to have to make some big changes and it’s awesome to watch. We've only known her for about a week now but we feel real close to her and love her a lot.
 
HERE IS THE SIGN ON THE DOOR I WAS TALKING ABOUT LAST WEEK. HAHA

Zach passed the sacrament this Sunday! It was like a proud mom moment. The elders gave him a tie and taught him how to put it on, and all the cute little deacons were teaching him and helping him the whole time. He did awesome! 
 
CHASE AND ZACH AFTER HE PASSED!

There has been some good moments this week where we are in the middle of teaching a lesson and as the spirit directs our words and a piece of doctrine all of a sudden makes more sense than it did before. Although the doctrine isn't new to me it just sinks and clicks all in my head. I love that feeling.  

All of the priesthood blessings I've been given on my mission have specifically directed me to spend more time than I am in scripture study and in studying words of latter day prophets. So this week I made a goal to read a general conference talk a day and I stumbled upon one by Elder Ballard in 2014. My favorite part was "the kind of faith that moves mountains is faith in Jesus Christ." Hermana  Mac and I were talking about it and she mentioned an institute lesson she had once about how Laman and Lemuel had faith in the outcome, but Nephi had faith in Christ. I found this interesting and I've never really thought about it before. I realized I've definitely been guilty of having faith that "something will happen" and not faith that "Christ can make this happen." 

3rd Nephi is probably my favorite book in the Book of Mormon. I love the accounts of Christ appearing to the Americas. His healings, blessings, establishing His church, and ministering. For 200 years after his appearance in the America "all were converted unto the Lord." Elder Holland compared this period of time to the City of Enoch. There was so much unity and peace. 

But soon after those 200 years of peace the people became unrighteous and there started to be division. (which of course isn't rare, this happens all throughout the scriptures) These people had walked and talked and prayed next to The Savior. I can only imagine the stories grandparents and parents got to tell to their children about touching the wounds in Christ’s hands. And still with all of these testimonies and personal experiences with the Savior, many started to rebel and "lift up in pride." Prophets describe pride as a desire to be different, a craving for recognition, a fear of being overlooked, doing things our way and how we think they should be done, and insisting on creating our own path without letting God be a part of it. Pride also doesn't want to repent or change. 

This is all connected to me and has got me thinking a lot this week. I don't want to come home and swan dive back into the world and forget everything that I've learned and experiences that I've had. Granted I haven't physically walked and talked with Christ or felt the wounds in his hands yet I certainly can't deny that I have felt him near me as I do His work, His words through scripture, prophets and the spirit have brought guidance and comfort, and have seen and felt the power that fills people’s lives because of the wounds in Christ’s hands. The trick is for me not to get caught in the pride cycle.  

"For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to subimit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father."  DON'T LET ME BE A PILE WHEN I GET HOME OKAY???
 
YSA ACTIVITY. WE WATCHED THE DEVOTIONAL AT THE HARDWAYS
(GERALD, JOE AND SAM)

Anywho, I got my first haircut since the mish this morning (your welcome mom:) I had .5 second thought of cutting a lot off but then ended up threatening the poor lady not to cut more than she needed to. haha  

Do you JUANt to build a snow man? NO BECAUSE ARKANSAS DOESN'T GET SNOW AND JUST LIKES TO BE FREEZING COLD INSTEAD. I know it could be a lot worse and I shouldn't complain but it’s cold. Don't tell anyone but I actually wore my work out pants and my workout long sleeve shirt (that I may or may not have worked out in that morning) and then just threw a skirt over it hahaha Throw  back to when I was all stressed out about buying the right clothes for my mission. I wear the same thing pretty much every day but it’s so bitter freezing I have to wear pants under my skirts. Shouldn't last long though. Spring in Arkansas definitely makes up for the winter. 

Juan last thing..
Love yall
Les quiero 


Hermana Moore 
ROSCA PARTY! 
(THEY HIDE LITTLE BABIES IN THE BREAD AND IF YOU HAVE A BABY IN YOURS YOU HAVE TO THROW A PARTY AND MAKE TAMALES FOR EVERYONE :) ) 
BERNIE AT THE REST HOME

No comments:

Post a Comment